Welcome to the Classical Exams website: Home of the Classical Literacy Exam and the Classical Scholar’s Exam!
This year marks the seventh year of the CLE and our efforts to promote classical literacy for the modern age.
1. The National Association of Secondary School Principals has placed this program (the Classical Literacy Exam) on the NASSP List of Approved Contests and Activities for Students for 2015-2016.
2. Online registration for the exam will open on October 1. The deadline for registration is January 22.
3. This year you may make payment via PayPal. You may also, of course, pay by check.
4. This year you may choose to give the exam at any time during the month of February. We hope this will eliminate the necessity for granting extensions.
5. The list of terms for the 2016 CLE remains unchanged from 2015.
6. This year we will present five $100 awards to participating students. To apply for this award students must have achieved a Gold Medal on any level of the Classical Literacy Exam or Classical Scholar’s Exam and have submitted a short essay on the importance of classical literacy. Look for more details of these awards in our Oct. 1 announcement of the opening of registration.
7. The cost of the exam is still only one dollar.
8. As was the case last year, all exams will be posted on our website. Prior to the time for taking the exams, teachers will receive a password that will enable them to download exams and answers. Teachers will continue to report results via our online routine.
9. We are making the printable certificates more accessible and giving teachers the option of a less toner-intense version.
» For a complete description of the CLE and official CLE lists of terms, please go to the Classical Literacy Exam page and subsequent pages
» Check out the Classical Scholar’s Exam, a more challenging version of the original CLE.
» Under the Classical Literacy Exam tab to the left you will find testing from the previous six years, and full descriptions of the Classical Literacy Exam and the Classical Scholar’s Exam.
Thank you for visiting ClassicalExams.org and showing your interest in the Classics! We will send out a reminder of the opening of registration on October 1.
The Classical Literary Exam is an excellent review tool for my Latin students. It is also a fun way to get them to learn about Greco-Roman culture by preparing for a national competition where they can win medals. On our school’s academic awards night, the principal presents the medals to students on stage with proud parents watching in the audience. This exam has also been a great recruitment tool for prospective freshmen to take Latin. The exam format is easy and user friendly without the problems of bubble-in answer sheets.
– Dr. Vincent Dever, Mary Star of the Sea High School, San Pedro, CA